Let's be honest: moving isn't exactly a walk in the park. There's a lot that goes into the moving process—organizing, packing, hauling, cleaning, unpacking... It can be a real pain in the neck if you're not prepared! At the Missy Caulk Team, we're here to help make your move just a little less stressful, so we'd like to share some of our best moving tips.
Still have questions about relocating to Ann Arbor or looking for more moving or home buying tips? Feel free to contact us at any time.
Before You Move
Do yourself a favor, save yourself a major headache, and start planning your move long before your actual moving day. By organizing, decluttering, and paring down, you can seriously lessen the burden of physically moving your belongings.
Handy Packing Tips
- Reinforce: Be sure to use sturdy, reinforced boxes, and don't be afraid to wrap fragile items in bubble wrap, towels, blankets, or even clothing (if you want to save some space!).
- Pack small: Pack heavy items in smaller boxes to make them easier to carry. Avoid over-loading boxes, as this could cause them to break or make them difficult to carry.
- Pack by room: Keep yourself organized by separating rooms into different boxes—in other words, don't mix kitchen supplies with bedroom belongings.
- Label everything! Make sure each and every box is labeled with the room it belongs in and the items it contains (so you know where boxes go and which are more important to open first).
- Prepare: Create an "Open Me First" box containing items you'll need immediately or that will help with unpacking. This includes things like toilet paper, soap, instant coffee, box cutters, tools, and paper dishes.
On Moving Day
All right, you're packed and ready to go, and moving day is here at last. Here are some things to do to make sure your sanity stays intact!
After You Move
You made it to your new home! But before you start ripping open boxes, there are a few extra steps to take to stay organized—trust us, you'll be grateful you did!
Still Have Questions About Relocating to Ann Arbor?
We're always available to talk about the place we love, the real estate market, or the home buying process. If you have a question or need information we didn't provide, give us a call and we'd be happy to clear up any questions. Want to learn more about buying a home in the Ann Arbor area? Use the resources below to take the next steps.